Vegan Creamy Garlic Pasta
There’s nothing quite like eating a delicious, creamy pasta dish. It’s satisfying, it’s rich, and it’s tasty. But, that flavor and feeling is usually accomplished with dairy. Heavy cream, butter, milk, the whole 9 yards. That doesn’t need to be the case! With our Vegan Creamy Garlic Pasta recipe, you’ll be on your way to that same smooth, delicious pasta recipe without using any animal products!
It all starts with a cashew cream. If you’ve never made any kind of cashew cheese, cream or milk, it’s generally very simple. For our cream, it’s a 1:2 ratio of cashews to water in a blender, and we blend it for about 2 minutes until it’s creamy and smooth. It’s crazy to think that there’s not much more to it than that. You don’t even really have to soak the cashews: if you don’t have a high-powered blender, then you might want to soak the cashews in very hot (almost boiling) water for 10-15 minutes before you put them in the blender with the water.
The next thing is to make something of a roux. If you don’t know what a roux is, it’s the combination of butter and flour that’s the base for all kinds of traditional cream pastas, notably Fettuccine Alfredo. However, you can use it to make a vegan cream sauce too! It’s just a little bit of flour added to the butter and garlic mixture to thicken the sauce and give it a hit of velvety creaminess.
Tips and Tricks:
Make sure you cook out all the flour from the roux very thoroughly. Nothing is worse than the grittiness of raw flour in your pasta dish!
We used broccoli, but you could really use any vegetable you want. Asparagus, kale, or swiss chard would also make a lot of sense here.
You could also use any kind of pasta you want. This recipe is so flexible, that you could use fettuccine, penne, or even some kind of ravioli with this sauce. Just make sure to cook it according to the package directions, and save that pasta water!
If you enjoyed our Vegan Creamy Garlic Pasta, let us know what you think in the comments. Make sure to pin it on Pinterest and follow us on Instagram so you don’t miss any more recipes!
Vegan Creamy Garlic Pasta
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 medium crown broccoli
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp flour of your choice
- 1/2 cup pasta water reserved after cooking.
- 2-3 servings any pasta of your choice
- lemon juice to taste drizzled on in the bowl
Make the Cashew milk:
- Combine the cashews and water in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Make the Garlic Cream Sauce:
- Heat a saute pan over medium-low heat
- While the cashew milk is blending, crush, peel, and mince the garlic. Also chop the broccoli. (NOTE: Chop the broccoli small so it cooks reasonably fast and is a reasonable size for a pasta dish)
- When the pan is hot, add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add in your broccoli. Stir to coat in butter, add salt to taste. Saute until they turn bright green, then add olive oil and garlic. Stir all ingredients to coat in butter and olive oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onion powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook until garlic begins to brown, approximately 1-2 minutes more.
- When the garlic gets some color, add the Whole Wheat Flour. Remove from heat momentarily, and quickly stir to incorporate. The sauce will thicken considerably.
- Add the cashew milk and stir to combine. Keep it moving until it simmers and thickens, then remove from the heat. Set aside until the pasta is finished cooking. Add some salt to taste if it needs it.
Prepare the Dish
- Cook pasta to box instructions. When finished cooking, add the pasta water to the sauce mixture. Drain the noodles, then add straight into the sauce. Stir to coat in the sauce. If needed, warm over low heat (NOTE: Might not be necessary as the pasta water is boiling hot)
- Serve hot drizzled with a little bit of lemon juice.