Easy Sweet Potatoes and Apples
There’s nothing quite as comforting as a recipe from Thanksgiving. They’re rich, warm, and full of warm spices to keep you going through the winter months. But, sometimes we need some comfort year-round. That’s where our Easy Sweet Potatoes and Apples recipe comes in. It’s delicious, comforting, and super easy to throw together.
There’s really not too much to this recipe. It’s a family tradition to have these at Thanksgiving, as I’m sure it is for many of you. We make it year-round and eat it as a side dish for lunch or dinner. It’s also completely impossible to mess up, unless you burn it. Which, we’ve come close to, and it’s still good.
You could cook the Sweet Potatoes and Apples in a bunch of different ways. We don’t have a pressure cooker or a crock pot, so we usually just go with the oven method, but you could also cook them in the pressure cooker or crock pot if you have one. If you try it out in one of these methods (instant pot recipe, anyone?), make sure to let us know!
For baking it in the oven, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got a dutch oven or stock pot that’s oven-safe. If you’re not sure, I’d suggest looking it up on the internet. Whatever oven-safe dish you choose will be fine. Most regular stock pots or dutch ovens should be fine, especially with how low we bake this recipe at, but just exercise some caution.
Tips and Tricks:
- When we say butter of your choice, we really mean it. We’ve made it with both real and vegan butter.
- As much of a pain it can be, I’d recommend you chop your sweet potatoes and apples small and uniform. The recipe is pretty forgiving, but we’ve definitely left the pieces too big and had to cook it for a very (very) long time.
- If you’re baking this in the oven, make sure to keep it covered. The temperature is low enough that most dutch ovens or stock pots labeled as “oven-safe” should do fine, including the lids. If they’re not covered, they’ll get too dry, which isn’t what we want.
If you enjoyed our Easy Sweet Potatoes and Apples recipe, make sure to check out another delicious recipe here pin it on Pinterest and follow us on Instagram so you don’t miss another one!
Easy Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large apples any variety will work
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp salted butter can add 1 tbsp more if needed
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C).
- Chop the sweet potatoes and apples into 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes.
- Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven or oven-safe stock pot with lid. Stir to combine. Note: butter will not be melted. That's fine.
- Place the cover on the dutch oven or stock pot and place into your oven on the middle rack. Cook covered until sweet potatoes are mostly tender, approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After the sweet potatoes are mostly tender, remove the lid from the dutch oven or stock pot and return to oven for an additional approximately 15 minutes, until much of the liquid is evaporated.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite comforting dishes.